Tuesday 3 April 2012

In the beginning

Interesting. I seem to have started a blog. Ok. I didn't think I'd ever do that. I think I'll make it about my job. Maybe I can use it to keep track of things I'm doing as I get to grips with my newly appointed position as a DBA. Maybe I'll treat it as a diary, which I can look back on in years to come and blush thinking 'did I really think that and write that!?' Maybe someone else will stumble upon it and read snippets. I hope they realise this is not an actual diary, so they shouldn't feel bad about reading it. I suppose these things are all possible.

I wonder if you can tell I'm not exactly sure how to start. Maybe I'll go and make some coffee. Good advice for any DBA.

Now that the coffee is brewing, I should explain a little bit about myself. I became a DBA about 6 months ago. There was a job in my office, so I applied. I was warned by my boss that DBAs live underground, rarely see the light and don't know how to iteract with real people. I replied that this is how I was anyway.

After completing the Microsoft course Maintaining a 2008 R2 SQL Server I began experimenting on a test server in my office, and was then slowly weened on to the production servers. I've decided to start this blog to keep track of everything I'm learning. I now have notes all over the place about all manner of topics, and wanted a place to store finalised notes. I wanted to draw a line under a thought I'd had. I wanted to be able to say 'Amen to that topic, what's next?'

I'll do my best to keep this in mind while posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment